Change Your Business Model

Save your coins!

During the pandemic, one of the concerns that may not have initially come to mind was coins.  Due to the potential fear of contamination and the risk of the virus, many people are opting to use only their credit cards and refuse to touch coins and paper money.  While consumers frantically purchase toilet paper for their households, owners of some establishments are pocketing change.  Chipotle is one such restaurant that is refraining from returning the proper change amount when their customers pay with cash.  The customers that have become victim to this misappropriation have banded together to file a class action lawsuit against Chipotle. Read more

Jalapeño Lawsuit Loses Heat

Jalapeño surprise

When consumers have food allergies, there is always a risk in dining at a restaurant.  About two years ago, on May 8, 2018, a patron of the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Sioux City, Iowa received both a poor dining experience and a trip to the hospital. As a result of her less than pleasurable dinner, Rochelle McCoy filed a lawsuit on May 4 in Woodbury County District Court.  Since then, the lawsuit has been dropped, but the specifications or terms of a potential settlement have not been disclosed to the public.  The culprit that convinced McCoy to take legal action may be described as rich and mild. Read more

Lighting Dispute Gets a Little Honky

Nashville lights fire under venue

The spotlight is shining on country music star, Blake Shelton; and not for the reason you might think.  Due to the results of a recent lawsuit, Shelton must alter his bar and restaurant’s red exterior lighting.  Old Red Nashville is placed at the heart of Lower Broadway in Nashville, among the various honky tonks and restaurants that line the street.  Shelton opened two other restaurant / bars of the same name in Tishomingo, Oklahoma and Gatlinburg, Tennessee.  While each establishment has their own unique designs and characteristics, all of the restaurants follow the same red color palette and lighting.  Read more

Utah Woman Nearly Killed by Toxic Tea

Enjoy this refreshing beverage with caution…

A few short months ago, Jan Harding was almost killed after she drank iced tea that was mixed with chemicals. Harding drank a single sip of sweetened iced tea at Dickey’s Barbecue in South Jordan, UT and stated, “I think I just drank acid”. After investigation authorities confirmed, “A restaurant employee unintentionally put the heavy-duty cleaner lye in a sugar bag, and another worker mistakenly mixed it into the iced tea dispenser. Lye, which looks like sugar, is an odorless chemical used for degreasing deep fryers”. The restaurant quickly reassured consumers that Harding was the first and only to drink from this botched batch of iced tea, and no one else was harmed. Other allegations have arisen  of incidents with this particular chemical in this restaurant chain, Dickey’s has not provided comment.

Read More

Businesses Still Recovering From Superstorm

Seems a little fishy

Years ago, Hurricane Sandy struck everywhere on the East Coast of the US, from Florida all the way to Maine. Many homes, companies, and families were uprooted, including vacation spots along the cost and even in New York City. A Greek restaurant in the TriBeCa district called Thalassa has recently filed a lawsuit against their insurance provider, who denied their claim that the storm disrupted their business. A main substation in downtown Manhattan, powered by a company called Con Edison, experienced problems due to the surging waters. The Phoenix Insurance Co. states that although the business was closed for 11 days, Thalassa’s insurance does not cover this kind of disruption. Read more